Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Insecurities

I suppose the only real way to improve one's self is to take a step back and give yourself a good once over.  Where does the real problem lie?  Is it actually fixable or something you need to learn to accept?  

Insecurities plague us all.  If you think you don't have any, it is quite possible you are in denial.  We all wish and dream at some point that we could change something about ourselves.  Whether it be the way we look, the intelligence we possess, or our sense of humor, it is hard to be completely happy with who you are.  This simple statement in itself is very disheartening.  And while I know that I can never rid myself of all my insecurities, I am determined to find a way to be happier with myself starting with prayer. ( Philippians 4:6  Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.)

Like many women in their thirties, I am extremely insecure with the way I look.  There are so many things about my appearance that I dream of bettering or changing altogether.   Of course, some things I need to learn to accept, but others I know I can change if I can just find the strength to persevere and not give in to temptation.  From a friends' and family point of view, I am perfect the way I am.  I am not medically overweight and they cannot understand why I would want to lose weight.  For me, it is about feeling comfortable in my own skin.  Many of my insecurities stem from that little extra weight I carry around my waist. I struggle with my clothes fitting right and that for some reason truly bothers me.  So for the last month, I have increased my daily workouts and have taken 300 calories from my diet.  I have seen such great progress and I hope that I can continue with this lifestyle so that I may maintain a healthy physique.

With my new physique, I think that I can eliminate some other insecurities that I have dealt with over the last ten years.  I have always been a bit of a tomboy but have wanted to dress better for my husband over the past few years.  Unfortunately, my poor body image has prevented me from splurging on the nicer clothes and accessories.   I think in another month I will have reach a comfort zone where I can start dressing the way I've wanted without feeling self conscious.   By dressing better, I may feel more secure that he still finds me attractive.  

As you read this post, you make think this sounds like a lot of whining.  But in my mind, I feel that I am addressing my issues to myself and making a plan to fix it.  Insecurities can consume us if we are not aware of them.   I encourage you to address your own insecurities and brainstorm a way that may help ease them.  I figure this is a small start to improving myself that is within my grasp.  If I can stick with it, I will not only better my mind, but my health as well.

What insecurities do you struggle with?  What steps are you taking in eliminating them?

Grab a latte, put up your feet, and join the discussion

No comments: