Monday, May 8, 2017

Modesty Has Left the Building

Fashion has had its ups and downs throughout history.   When living in the moment, we may feel stylish and (dare I say) hip.  But more often than not, we look back on those "perfect" photos and just shake our heads.  However, despite our bright clothing and big hair, we can feel comfortable sharing our photos with our children and grandchildren.  Can this generation of kids say the same thing?

Finding appropriate clothes for my girls has become quite the challenge.  Not because they are getting older and pickier, but because it is hard to find clothing that actually contains enough material.  Shorts are getting shorter, dresses are getting skimpier, and shirts are getting sexier.  My kids are 13 and 10.  They don't need sexier and skimpier.  They need comfortable and durable. (Romans 12:2 "Do not allow this world to mold you into its own image.")

Unfortunately,  my opinion on the subject is definitely in the minority.   If it wasn't, then companies would change their styles and sell more age appropriate outfits.   If it wasn't, I wouldn't have spent our vacations at Disney World walking behind girls with their butt cheeks hanging out of their shorts and their bras showing from the side of their shirts.  If it wasn't, I wouldn't have gone swimming with little ones in bikinis that had less material then those of the Sport Illustrated swim suit models.  

Modesty has definitely left the building in most American households.  But thankfully it is here to stay in mine.  My girls may beg and plead to purchase an outfit that is in style, but as a parent I have the right to say no.   We will continue to have a clothing standard in our home and I will continue to teach my girls to respect their bodies and not flaunt in to the world.

Am I too old fashion?  What are your opinions on the latest tween/teen styles?

Grab a latte, put up our feet, and join the discussion!

No comments: