Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Unknowingly Damaged

For many of us, a healthy lifestyle is something we strive for.   We may sometimes stray from our plan, but we somehow manage to steer ourselves back on track.  But what happens when what we thought was healthy, really isn't?

Everyday we come across an article or news report that informs us our favorite food or activity will cause us cancer.  Everything from eating the wrong kind of fish too talking to long on your cell phone is hazardous to your health.   In a time where science has opened our eyes to all the "danger" that exists right under our nose, it is difficult to feel confident in the most simple of choices.

I came across an article from WomensDay.com the other day that really made me stop and think.  It talked about certain habits of your day to day life that may actually do you more harm than good.   This article popped out at me because, of course, I have each and every one of these unknowingly damaging  habits.

The first habit they addressed I was already aware of the negative side effects, but still feel the need the do it.  Apparently, too much hand sanitizer will cause your body to build up a resistance against certain antibiotic medications.   I try to use soap when I can, but at times I just "need" to clean my hands immediately (I know, I know...don't judge me.).

Another one that really hit home was wearing flip flops.  What possible harm could flip flops do?  Well according to a Boston podiatrist flip flops don't provide you with the proper support your feet need.  The result is stress fractures or tendonitis (which I've experienced both).  And all along I've been wearing flip flops to give my feet a break from uncomfortable shoes.  Who knew?

It is a definite must read article if you tend to brush your teeth right after you eat, experiment with skin care products, drink bottled water, do only cardio when you work out, skip meals to save calories for later, clean with disinfecting products, or load up on vitamin supplements.  I do all the things on their list, do you?  Do you think we are unknowingly damaging our bodies or do you think it is just another thing being blown out of proportion?

Grab a latte, put up your feet, and join the discussion!

No comments: