Sunday, April 30, 2017

Take Back Your Happiness

 We live in a world of procrastination.  Why take the time today to do what could be done tomorrow?  But what if tomorrow never comes?  What if tomorrow is always a day away?  Do what makes you happy today!  Enjoy your life in the present because you never know when tomorrow will eventually arrive.

Bills, work, meetings, chores, obligations, commuting...... Not everything in life is all fun and games, but some things should be.  We all have a single life to live and it is up to us to make the choice to live it.  It is very disheartening to look around and see how little joy is left in the world.  We all have so much in our lives that we should be thankful for, but we somehow focus only on the negative.

Maybe work sucked today, or maybe the kids drove you to a migraine. But the big picture is you have a job and kids you love more than anything.  I know it is hard to do, but try to leave work at work.  Try to play an extra game with your children.  Focus on what makes you happy and the hardships that were just weighing you down will be lifted away. (Psalm 47:1 Clap your hands, all you nations; shout to God with cries of joy.)


It has been over 5 years since I've written for Between the Lines.  I use to love this blog because I loved writing.  I enjoyed sharing my favorite recipes and ideas for the kiddos and loved the feedback.  But then I allowed my blog to morph into something else.  At first, this new blog full of reviews, promotions, and advertising was fun.  It was new and exciting and I was making money from something I created.  But then I realized that I didn't have time anymore to include the things I liked on MY blog.  I didn't have time to write whatever I wanted (not even my book I was working on) because I had a calendar full of clients that I had to write for first.

That is why 5 years ago I stepped away from Between the Lines.  I fulfilled all my standing obligations and then I just let it go.  The problem was I was so frustrated with writing for other people that I stopped writing altogether.  My finished novel sat and collected dust.   My unfinished novel remained unfinished.  I stopped visiting other blogs that I use to enjoy.   I just disappeared from the writing world altogether.  But recently I started writing again and remembered how much I loved it.  I stopped thinking of the bad things and focused on what made me happy.  I often find myself procrastinating and saying I will work on it tomorrow.  I have too many things to take care of today.  But I am getting better.  The kids can play alone for a bit.  The dishes and the laundry aren't going anywhere.  And whoever is calling on the phone will leave a message. 

Don't get lost in the must-dos.  Do what makes you happy today.  Your happiness may be contagious and help others find their happiness again too.  Have you been putting off doing things that make you happy?

Grab a latte, put up your feet, and join the discussion!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this!! So happy you are writing again. We all definitely need to spend more time focusing on all the amazing things in our lives and not focusing on the few negatives or worrying about the future or what ifs. God blessed you with the gift of being an amazing writer. So happy you are using your gift again, you touched at least one life with this today.

Kel said...

Thanks Amy:). Love ya!