Monday, May 1, 2017

The Optimistic Pessimist

Positive thinking is the key to happiness.  It effects your mood, behavior, and your relationships.  When negative thoughts creep into your head today, spin them around and discover your inner optimist.  

All of us are guilty of being pessimistic at some point in our lives.  I guess you could say, it's human nature.  It is easier to be sure of the worse than to hope for the best.  Therefore, we are optimistic pessimists.   Not sure if that really counts as positive thinking though.

Think back to the last real conversation you had with a friend or family member.  Was the majority of the conversation focused around negative things happening in your lives?  Negative things that you were certain were going to happen to you in the near future?   I have caught myself many times over that last few months leaving a conversation and just shaking my head.   Why did I waste all my time complaining?  Why didn't I share about the wonderful accomplishments of my girls?  Or talk about the great weekend I shared with my family?

I know that we often need to vent to those closest to us.  It helps us get out our frustrations as well as being able to solicit some much needed advice.   But when every conversation is focused around the negative, it tends to bring you down. (Philippians 2:13-14  For it is God who works in you to will and to act on behalf of His good pleasure.  Do everything without complaining or arguing.)

Starting today, I will give myself permission to vent, if so needed, for a maximum of five minutes.  After that, I am determine to live as an optimist.  I want to think positively about all the wonderful blessings that are in my life and not dwell on things that just can't be changed.   I have a feeling that it will improve my mood and therefore improve my daily interactions with others.  Are you guilty of being an optimistic pessimist?

Grab a latte, put up your feet, and join the discussion!

No comments: