Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Open Discussion: Mom Faces Jail Time

Have any of you heard of Tara Keener?  She is an ER Nurse and loving mother who now faces the possibility of jail time.   Why does she face jail time?  Because she tried to save her son's life.    I know what you're thinking, "What????"   I thought the same thing.  This all started because the Pennsylvania mother saw her son slumped over in a school bus with children surrounding him.  The children were yelling that they couldn't get him to move and that they couldn't wake him.   Worried that her son was seriously in trouble, Ms. Keener rushed onto the school bus to try to save him.  The driver warned her that it was illegal for her to come onto the bus, but she was focused solely on her son.  It turned out, her son was just in a deep sleep and was fine.   Despite the situation, the bus driver reported Ms. Keener. A few days after the incident, a trooper told her she wasn't going to be charged. But almost five months later Keener discovered that she was indeed facing a third-degree misdemeanor, an offense that could lead to jail for a year, and a $2,500 fine.

Did you know that it is illegal to board a school bus?  If you thought your child was in danger, would you board the bus regardless?  Grab a latte, put up your feet, and join the discussion!

10 comments:

Lara said...

I am in education, and I had no idea it was illegal to board a bus! I like the idea, because there are so many rotten people out there, BUT if my child was in danger I would be on there in a heartbeat! Plus, people that are going to do the wrong thing, aren't going to care that it is illegal, they are already doing illegal things.

Croppermom said...

Are you serious! You better not come between this Momma Bear if her kids are in trouble!

Maria said...

What?? I had no idea it was illegal to board a school bus! Is that federal, state, county?? I wouldn't hesitate to go wherever my kids were if they needed my help.

mc said...

I'm your newest follower from the blog hop. Very, very interesting post. I can't believe some of the injustices going on.
Please stop by my blog too
http://candoitmom.blogspot.com/

Tylerpants said...

I didn't know it was illegal to board a school bus. I'd still get on though if I thought one of my kids were in danger. Totally ridiculous that she faces jail time/fines!

Grandma Bonnie said...

I would have did the same thing, My children are my life. She deserves understanding not jail time. I wonder what the driver was doing? I thought they would have helped.

Kel said...

I completely agree with you all. Nothing could keep me away from my babies if I thought they were in trouble.

Elaine said...

This just so stupid! An exception needs to be made here along with the use of common sense. There is a time and place for everything, but this is not the time nor the place to charge a mother for boarding a bus because she thought her son was in trouble. Did the bus driver get up and see what was going on? Did the bus driver call the police for help? What was she supposed to do?- wait until help arrived and then have everyone ask why she didn't do anything? This is so wrong.

Anonymous said...

I understand that when it comes to children, you can't be too careful. I am sure that if some random woman came on board my son's bus, I would go ballistic. EXCEPT IF THAT WOMAN WAS ME AND I WAS TRYING TO SAVE MY SON. Rules are enforced to keep our children safe and that is what she was trying to do. Nobody got hurt, other children were not traumatized by the incident, so where's the harm?

JC said...

As if we all didn't have a million things to worry about, this is just ridiculous.