Saturday, July 3, 2010

Relay for Life: Recap

The Relay for Life event was amazing! Not only did the remarkable ladies in my group and I raise about $1,600, but the area as a whole raised $284,953! What a great achievement for such a small community. That huge number wasn’t even the greatest news of the night. A fellow Mom’s Club Member has been fighting bravely against breast cancer. And when I say bravely, that is a huge understatement. At the start of our walk, she announced that she was officially cancer-free!! Lisa, you are an astonishing woman. I’m so happy I’ve had the chance to meet you!


This year was our first year to participate in Relay for Life as a team. The theme of the Relay was Mardi Gras, so everyone had a lot of fun decorating their tent. The awesome people from Country Bob’s donated 500 free bottles of their delicious All-Purpose sauce to the Relay participants. They also gave away three prize packs to some lucky winners ( I hope you all are enjoying your new cook book and sauce)! We even had the concession stand put out some bottles for people to put on their hamburgers, hot dogs, and chicken.


Our tent site was designed to give mothers with small children a break. We had a changing station (with free supplies), a feeding station, an art table, and free snacks and drinks for the participating children. I was so happy to see so many children participating in such an important event. We even won the Rookie Team of the year for our fun tent site! To go along with the babies, Mardi Gras, and Country Bob theme, one of my teammates made a cut out picture of a baby holding Country Bob sauce. It was a big hit. Everyone wanted to stop and get a picture. Check out some that we took of ourselves.



Thanks to all of you who supported us this year for Relay. We truly appreciate your generosity. A special thanks to Country Bob for the donations. The sauce was a big hit! And a HUGE thank-you to all my teammates. It was so wonderful to have such a great group of ladies to work with. We Rock! :)


7 comments:

Breathing In Grace said...

Our church has a Relay for Life team...made up of several women who have survived breast cancer and their supporters. Such a worthy cause!!!
Blessings to you!!!
P.S...I'm gonna have a give-a-way on my blog next Friday...be sure and stop by...it's a little something I made!!!

Rachel Cotterill said...

It sounds like you did a great job - well done, and I'm glad you enjoyed yourselves too! :)

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

Sounds like an excellent event!

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Thank you for your part in Relay For Life! You all did awesome!
Our son is a childhood cancer survivor and we are sooo blessed that he is a healthy and strong 20 yr old college student. It is so wonderful to hear the progress with cancer treatments and the cancer research being done.

Blessings & Aloha!

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

Relay for Life is such a great event! My husband and I had planned to go walk with one of the teams in my hometown this year, but there was a big storm that night, and they ended up shutting down after about an hour or so. Bummer!

Thanks for stopping by blog. This looks like a fun place to be!

A GAL NEEDS... said...

What a worthy cause and a fun time! Congratulations for your part in raising so much money for breast cancer! Yay for Country Bob's Sauce as well!

Kelly said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog & thanks for the encouragement :)

GREAT job w/ the Relay for Life! That's AWESOME!! I just got involved w/ the organization this year and I am hooked. I'm going to have my own team next year and I can't wait :)

Congrats to your friend who just announced that she is cancer free. I can not wait for that day to come for myself!!

Have a great week!