Friday, June 10, 2011

Fabulous Food Friday with the Fresh Plate

Welcome to Fabulous Food Friday! While exploring the blogosphere, I realized that there were many great recipes to share. So every Friday this summer, I am going to  feature an awesome blogger with their great recipe! Today’s feature blogger is Liz from the Fresh Plate.  Liz is a mother of 4 who tries to feed her family from the freshest local food.  She has some wonderful recipes that you definitely should check out.  One of  her newer recipes, Stuffed Strawberries, had my girls and I drooling!  When you get a chance, swing by Liz's yummy blog.  I’m sure you’ll find a recipe you and your family will love. 



Photobucket



Hi everyone! I am Liz from Fresh Plate. My goal in authoring my own blog is to post relevant recipes, do it yourself projects and my favorite products to share with the blogosphere. I try to post recipe that are current for today's busy lifestyles, yet comforting enough to remind us of our childhoods. I am forever trying to create meals that get my kids to the table every night with anticipation and eagerness to try new things. I hope you will stop by my blog and say hello.

A bit about me. I am a thirty-something married mom of four boys. They range in age from 5 to 17, so I stay busy most of the time. Our family currently lives in Pennsylvania, but I was born and raised in North Carolina. It was only after my husband and I were married that we relocated up north. I learned to cook from my nana, mother and aunts. They are all southern cooks, and that is where my background lies. I can make a mean fried chicken, collards and buttermilk biscuits. But lately I have switched my focus to healthier fare, using as many organic and sustainable foods that I can get my hands on. We grow a vegetable garden and the boys and I pick our own berries , shuck our own local grown corn, and purchase local honeys, butters, cheeses and meat. I am focusing on teaching the boys how important it is to eat local.

The recipe I am going to share with you today is my nana's ground beef spaghetti sauce.A food that everyone seems to have their versions of. This is the best spaghetti sauce that I have ever tasted. I have never tasted another remotely like it.Everyone that has tasted it has enjoyed it and gone back for seconds.I make a double batch and freeze the leftovers for busy weeknights.Serve with a salad and big,crusty bread and you have a complete meal.Nana's recipe calls for ground beef but you can certainly lighten it up with ground turkey.And please don't leave out the Heinz 57 sauce.It is crucial to the outcome.My mouth is watering just thinking about it.


Nana's Spaghetti Sauce

Ingredients
3 lbs ground beef
1 large onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon onion salt
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon oregano
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon Heinz 57 steak sauce
1 teaspoon italian seasoning

Directions
Brown onion and green pepper in a large skillet in a small amount of oil.
Add ground beef to the onion and green peppers; cook until brown.
Carefully drain the hamburger mixture and return to the skillet.
Add the tomato sauce, onion salt, salt, garlic salt, oregano, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, Heinz 57 and Italian seasoning.
Stir well and simmer on low heat for 2-3 hours.
Serve over your favorite pasta with garlic bread and a salad.






No comments: