Monday, May 10, 2010

Chris Brogan Challenge : My Children Will Do it Differently


As I was sitting in a lonely hotel room, waiting for my husband to get out of work, I was searching the web for new ideas for my blog. During my search, I came across a guy named Chris Brogan, author of Social Media 101 and coauthor of Trust Agents. Mr. Brogan had made a list of 100 blog topics that he hoped “I” would write about. Many of his ideas fit me perfectly, while others I’m not really sure what they are. In all my boredom, I decided to challenge myself to write about all 100 of his topics. This won’t be easy, since some of the topics are a big question mark to me, but a little research never hurt anyone. Figuring in the fact that I don’t write real posts on the weekend, this challenge will be 100% successful if I complete it in 20 weeks. So let’s begin…Day Eleven – Topic Eleven(still going)!

This is a very open-ended topic because I believe that my children will do many, if not most things, differently when they grow up. If we talk about the technology world, there is no telling what kind of gadgets and gizmos our children will be using when they are our age. Technology changes on a daily basis and it’s hard to keep up. Although cell phones and iPods are commonplace today, we would never have envisioned them growing up. I remember when I was young, the cordless phone was such a fascinating invention. Of course it didn’t hurt that Zac Morris, from Saved By the Bell, had one (a portable one I might add)! Who know what our kids will have. Perhaps video phones in their sun glasses? I also remember growing up and listening to my parent’s record. They always sounded better than the tapes we had, but they weren’t as portable. My kids don’t even know what a record is and I have a feeling my grandkids won’t know what a CD is! It is hard to imagine what they will come up with after iPods and MP3 players, but I’m sure it will be smaller and better. I imagine my kids having a small hidden ear piece that hold over 100G of music. There is no way to tell how technology will change our children’s lives, but if it is anything like Back to Future, I hope I’m around to try a hover board!

3 comments:

Robin said...

There is good news and bad news on this front. I think that kids are being blasted with technology so that everything is fast fast fast. I have to wonder if it is created ADHD (an inability to focus). Kids will understand computers, ipods, ipads, and other technologies that we can't even forsee. Texting, tweeting, and networking their phones is all part of their sub-culture. Gangs are not just confined to the cities; they are moving into the suburbs. Eventually all schools will have metal detectors because shootings and weaponry will become commonplace. As the middle class disappears, violence will increase everywhere including among our youth and in our schools. More and more parents will home school their kids. Geez... that started out okay and got really depressing. Sorry. Now, I am really worried about the future of our youth.

Kel said...

Robin - I worry daily about the future of our youth. There are so many days that I wish I could just keep them home and protect them forever. I'm a certified teacher...They'd be ok, right?!?

Michelle @Flying Giggles said...

Who knows were technology will advance to, but hopefully it will benifit our society, of course, things will be better, faster and smaller. Crazy to imagine.