Saturday, June 12, 2010

Pool Safety

The pools are open, the schools are closed, and summer is upon us! What a perfect time for a little refresher on pool safety. I always take the time to remind my kids of safety rules before each visit to the pool, but I think that it is important to at least review them once with your kids at the start of pool season. Most kids don’t like to listen to rules, but if we make sure we know it is to keep them safe from harm, they may listen better.


One of the simplest rules, that is broken probably every hour at every pool, is to not run around the pool. I have seen so many kids slip and fall. Luckily the children I’ve seen have only ended up with scraped knees or bumped heads. However, I have read articles of kids slipping and falling into the water or even knocking themselves out. It is also important to make sure your kids don’t jump into the pool head first unless they are in the deep end (and it is allowed by the pool). Head first diving can cause serious injury or even death.


Another important rule that many parents break, is not to allow your young children to swim unsupervised. They may have learned to swim on their own, but what happens if they get tired or get a cramp. They could slip under the water and you wouldn’t even notice. Even if there is a lifeguard on duty, it is hard for them to keep up with everyone. It is also important to remember that kids can still drown with a life jacket on. Some children are not strong enough to right themselves if they flip (trust me, I’ve seen it with my own girls). Of course, if you are standing close by it is no problem. Make sure to encourage frequent breaks to avoid exhaustion. What other important safety rule do you have for your family? Grab a latte, put up your feet, and join the discussion!

3 comments:

Sam said...

Two rules that I always had to follow while swimming was not eating right beforehand, and not to chew gum in the pool, as a choking hazard.

Great post!

Tiffany said...

I always have to remind my boys to be cautious around the pool. They make me paranoid sometimes.

Peace, Love and Chocolate
Tiffany

Kel said...

My girls always scare me too!