Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Chris Brogan Challenge : Book Shopping- Buy These Books

As I was sitting in a lonely hotel room, waiting for my husband to get out of work, I was searching the web for new ideas for my blog. During my search, I came across a guy named Chris Brogan, author of Social Media 101 and coauthor of Trust Agents. Mr. Brogan had made a list of 100 blog topics that he hoped “I” would write about. Many of his ideas fit me perfectly, while others I’m not really sure what they are. In all my boredom, I decided to challenge myself to write about all 100 of his topics. This won’t be easy, since some of the topics are a big question mark to me, but a little research never hurt anyone. Figuring in the fact that I don’t write real posts on the weekend, this challenge will be 100% successful if I complete it in 20 weeks. So let’s begin…Day Seventeen – Topic Seventeen(trying to stay afloat)!

With so many great books out there, how do you choose what to read? I usually take recommendations from friends and family to see which books are worth my time. Being a full time mom, wife, cook, maid, blogger, and chauffeur doesn’t leave me a much time to read as I would like. So with the time I do have, I want to make sure the books aren’t just good, but great! My books choices are very diverse. The majority of what I read falls into the Christian Women’s Literature category. But on the other end of the spectrum, I’m really enjoying the books full of the supernatural. For those of you looking for something new to read that is inspirational, heartwarming, and captivating, you must try a book by Karen Kingsbury, Dee Henderson, or Terri Blackstock. These amazing Christian authors tell unforgettable stories that you won’t be able to put down. If you decide to try Karen Kingsbury, I suggest you start with the book Redemption. Redemption is the first book of my most favorite series. I guarantee you will love it. If you decide to try Dee Henderson, I suggest you start with The Negotiator. This is the first book of my second favorite series! And if you decide to try Terri Blackstock, I suggest you start with the Cape Refuge series.

Now for those of you who love the supernatural, you have probably already read the Twilight series. If you have somehow missed these books, they are definitely worth a read. Just keep in mind that the characters are in high school and it is a young adult book. For those who loved Twilight and are looking for new books that fall into the same genre, you will love the House of Night series by P.C and Kristen Cast. This series has a different take on vampires that you will love. Another series that I’m enjoying is the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris. Just a heads up, if you have a teenager who loves Twilight and is looking for other vampire books, this is not the series for her. The Sookie Stackhouse books are much more mature and I would not recommend them for anyone under 18. So what books do you recommend we buy? Grab a latte, put up your feet, and join the discussion!

4 comments:

Amy said...

What a fun blog! And books are my favorite thing to talk about, though I don't have much time to read anymore. I am going to have to check out some of the books you recommended. My favorites are the classics. Les Miserables, Jane Eyre, and of course, anything by Jane Austin. But then again, I read anything including the milk carton if there is nothing else near by. The best friends you can have. Books!

Laine said...

I love the challenge that you have taken on! I look forward to seeing you succeed. I loved reading "The Secret Life of Bees" recently, and began a quest for classics by starting with "To Kill a Mockingbird", which was amazing.

Thanks for the new suggestions!
~Laine

Tiffanee said...

Thanks for the great ideas for good reads. I am like you I love to read but finding the time is difficult. I don't want to waste it on a bad book. I have been looking at the PC Cast books and wondering so thanks for talking about them. I think I may have to dive in. Looking forward to your 100 topics!!

Liz Mays said...

I'm thinking I may have read Karen Kingsbury before. Maybe?