Friday, April 2, 2010

Organizing Your life (And Friday Follow)

I am by no means an expert on time management and organization, but the system I have works real well for me. I didn’t realize how much my “plan” helped alleviate stressful days until I spent so many days caring for my sick babies and then caring for myself. With my entire schedule ignored for the week, all I could see around me was filth, clutter, and destruction. I am hopeful that by Monday I will be back on track. I know my husband will probably laugh that I am disclosing my “plan”, but if it works, why not share it?

Every Sunday afternoon I go through my coupons, plan my meals, and make my grocery list for the entire week. Sometimes I even plan for two weeks at a time. It helps save time and money. I try to pick meals that can use some of the same ingredients. This way I can buy the larger package and save my pennies. Shopping for two weeks in a row also helps eliminate extra snack buying. If you aren’t at the grocery store, you can’t make those impulse purchases. And if you aren’t stuck at the grocery store, you open more time in your busy schedule for other things. On Monday, I head straight to the grocery store after dropping my daughter off at school. Going early in the morning means no lines and getting to park near the cart drop-off area. I know those of you with little children completely understand how important this is.

I also have made myself a chores schedule. This makes cleaning faster and more manageable. It is much easier to deal with one load of laundry each day than four in a single day. When you put too much on your plate at one time, the job can get tedious or even seem overwhelming. And we all know that when cleaning gets overwhelming, it usually doesn’t get done. With my chore schedule, I have my bathroom cleaning day, dusting and vacuuming day, mopping day, and so forth. Yes, I know. It seems very silly. I completely agree. But I usually don’t get stressed out or overwhelmed with housecleaning (usually). So I will stick with it!

With these, and other schedules, I am able to have more time with my kids, with my husband (when he’s home), and I definitely have more time for myself and my newly discovered blogging habit. How do you keep your life under control? Grab a latte, put up your feet, and join the discussion!

Don't Forget to Link up for the Friday Follow!  I hope everyone has a Blessed Easter!
Friday Follow

Here's how YOU can join the Friday Follow celebration:

 

--Click the button above and link up your blog name and URL using the MckLinky. Only need to add on one blog to be seen on all the blog hops.
--Grab the Friday Follow button and include on your Friday Follow blog post.
--Follow the Friday Follow hostesses listed in the first 3 slots.
--Follow as many other blogs on the linky as you'd like.
--Take a moment to comment on the blogs telling them you're from Friday Follow.
--Follow back when you get a new follower through Friday Follow.

This list is new each week. The links do not carry over. Please link up each week for new participants to find your blogs. The list is only open to add your blog links on Fridays. It will be visible all week to visit the blogs listed.

48 comments:

Sarah Coulsey said...

Happy Friday!! I am a New Follower!!!

Please Check Out My Terrific Giveaways!!!!

Sarah

sarahsblogoffun.blogspot.com

veterankindergartenteacher said...

This is an excellent post. I am going to try to implement some of your ideas to help me in my never-ending quest to get more organized.

Sugar Bear said...

I totally forgot to get a hold of you yesterday. You won my whoop whoop giveaway.. Congrats. Need your address. Email me.

star said...

Im following you from Friday Follow!

star said...

Im following you from Friday Follow!

Anonymous said...

If I make plans I always get behind. So I just do things when they need it. or when I get around to it. It is nice to see you part of Friday Follow! Have a wonderful weekend. Rita @ One 2 Try.

Tatum said...

Stopping by from FF & now following!!!
http://tatumsreviews.blogspot.com/

Lanita said...

Nice idea. It is always better to focus on the little step in front of you rather looking at the long journey ahead. Limits my stress factor.

Simply Mel said...

Thanks for stopping by! Following back.

Have a great Easter weekend! :)

Truthful Mommy said...

Cute blog!Love all of the recipes! Following back from Friday Follow!
DEbi
http://motherhoodthetruth.blogspot.com/

Jill said...

I'm love what your doing - planning your meals for 2 weeks instead of just 1. I HATE going to the grocery store - definitely going to try this!

Spuddybuddies said...

Thanks for stopping by and the follow. We're following you back. :)

Kristin said...

Thanks for the follow, returning the favor!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. Following you back. Happy Weekend :)

Peggy said...

Thank you for following-I will surely be following back:) You have a beautiful family. Happy Easter:)

veterankindergartenteacher said...

I am already a follower who just enjoys stopping by to see what your latest post says. I enjoyed your organizational tips. Have a blessed day!

JennyMac said...

Love the tips. And happy FF!

Unknown said...

Maybe I need a cleaning schedule!! Life with 4 kids has gotten hectic! lol Have a great weekend....following back from FF.

Sarah
http://lewiscrazyhouse.blogspot.com

Jestti said...

Thanks for the follow! I'm following your blog now! :)

http://householdcents.blogspot.com/

Halley said...

Following ya back! Have a great day!

Unknown said...

I had a schedule a bit like this as a SAHM. I think you have too, if for no other reason you have a idea when your work day ended....at least a little bit anyway!:)

Kati Aileen said...

Hey thanks for stopping ladybugmamaof2. Love your blog. I'm your newest follower. Happy Friday Follow.

Unknown said...

Happy Friday Follow!! Thanks for checking me out...I'm following you too!

Heavenly Savings said...

Another new follower! Happy Friday Follow! Hope to Blog with you again soon!

Lisa said...

I think meal planning and having a cleaning schedule is very important. I did the flylady system for a while. My house was immaculate. Then I got lazy and my schedule went out the window. You should share your schedule.

Stephanie said...

Following along through Follow Friday. Hope you have a second to come on over and follow me!
http://howtosurvivelifeinthesuburbs.blogspot.com/

Survivormama said...

Following you now via Friday Follow! Hope to see you around my place sometime!

Survivormama said...

Happy Friday Follow...Following you now! Hope to see you around my place sometime!

Anonymous said...

I'm following you back. http://mypottyseat.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Thanks for the follow! Following you too!

BNM said...

Thanks for stopping by... your scheduling sounds very effective.. i need a schedule in my life, maybe ill start one Thanks for sharing

Sandra said...

New follower via Friday Follow!

Hope you have a WONDERFUL WEEKEND and a Happy Easter!

Sandra
http://andnextcomes.blogspot.com/

Betsy (zen-mama.com) said...

Hi Kel,
I just made myself a latte and thought I'd stop by...Thanks for coming to my blog!
Happy FF
Betsy

Rondi said...

Thanks for the follow! I must try your recipes. Have a great weekend. Happy Easter!

Missie said...

Hello there! I'm a fellow Friday Follower. Nice to meet you!
www.what-comes-next.net

Babes Mami said...

Thank you for coming by today!

CC said...

Happy Friday Follow..I'm ever so happy you found me,I came back to visit you..and just love your place, and have become a follower. I've enjoyed reading along..(I love comments as well..almost a happy dance thing ) and I loved your recipes. I have to try the Whiskey Chicken..it sounds wonderful. I also have a recipe site..along with 2 other ladies..it's just plain cookin and is at: sueskitchen.blogspot.com.
Come visit..and see if you like it.
Have a great weekend and a lovely Easter..

Santa's Gift Shoppe and Ideas said...

Hi..I'm From Friday Follow...I'm new to this but have found such wonderful people doing these parties & link ups. I wish the rest of the world could be as uplifting & supportive to each other as I have experienced.. I hope you can pop over to my blog @ santasgiftshoppe.blogspot.com & find some inspiration for your family/home...I hope you will become a follower too! Happy Easter!! Barb
P.S. Hope to have my own link party April 12th “My Creative Space Monday” @ santasgiftshoppe.blogspot.com
…..Hope you will join up, too.

le Chef said...

Returning the favor :)
I use to calm myself with housework when the kids were younger, because it was so nice to have a clean home. Now that they are teens - forget it. They just go behind me and dirty it right up. I look forward to the day when I can clean it, and it will STAY clean lol!

Twee Poppets said...

Hello! I found you over at Friday Follow, and am now following your blog. I hope you'll stop by and do the same if you get the chance! :)

http://tweepoppets.blogspot.com


This is a great plan for staying organized! I could definitely use a little more organization in my life - I may just have to implement some of these ideas! Thanks. :)

Elaine said...

Hi....I'm following you back from FF. Got to say I really enjoyed your post. I'm such a "write my plan out person"....whatever it is I'm planning on. I totally relate.:) I know I will enjoy following your blog.

Have a wonderful Easter weekend!
Elaine :)

Rebecca said...

Following you from FF!

Margo said...

Thanks for the follow! Following you back!

disneyfanheather said...

Hello! Thanks for stopping by! I'm a new follower! Hope you have a wonderful weekend and a happy Easter! :)

Gina F. said...

Hello! I'm following you from Friday Follow! HAVE A HAPPY EASTER!!!

Gina
http://motherof1princessand2princes.blogspot.com

Elisabeth Marie said...

Following you back from Friday Follow! =)

The Sierra Home Companion said...

It's Sunday, but I'm here from FF. Great blog.

Micael said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog for the last Friday Follow! I'm returning the follow! (I apologize for the delay, I just got back from a fun filled camping trip!)

Micael :)
http://SavingObsession.com