Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Chris Brogan Challenge : How Best to Comment on a Corporate Blog

As I was sitting in a lonely hotel room, waiting for my husband to get out of work, I was searching the web for new ideas for my blog. During my search, I came across a guy named Chris Brogan, author of Social Media 101 and coauthor of Trust Agents. Mr. Brogan had made a list of 100 blog topics that he hoped “I” would write about. Many of his ideas fit me perfectly, while others I’m not really sure what they are. In all my boredom, I decided to challenge myself to write about all 100 of his topics. This won’t be easy, since some of the topics are a big question mark to me, but a little research never hurt anyone. Figuring in the fact that I don’t write real posts on the weekend, this challenge will be 100% successful if I complete it in 20 weeks. So let’s begin…Day Seven – Topic seven(keeping on)!

I believe the best way to comment on a Corporate Blog is to be professional, courteous, and honestly. We all know that there are millions of people out in the world who think differently than we do. We are individuals and therefore have opinions of our own. I do not feel that this gives us the right to bash, belittle, or act unkindly to others. After reading many comments on various corporate blogs, I saw a pattern of disrespectfulness. Perhaps the individuals don’t understand that there are actual people with feelings on the other end of these blogs. There are always way to voice your opinion without be disrespectful. I think this is also important in the personal blogging world. I have seen so many wonderful bloggers get hurt because of malicious comments. We need to remember that these blogs are written by actual people who are allowed their own voice. How do you think is the best way to comment on a corporate or personal blog? Grab a latte, put up your feet, and join the discussion!

3 comments:

*Katy* said...

In my opinion, I leave a comment as if I were leaving it on my own blog. That way, even if I disagree, it's not hurtful.

I've found that I love blogging because it's a great outlet and there are so many people who are in the same situation we are in and they give out great advice! You can also find some great tips and tricks and even some yummy recipes like that apple enchilada recipe :)

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Actually read the post before leaving a comment. Blogging shouldn't be a game of one-up-manship (sp?)... trying to quickly surf around and see how many comments we can leave in hopes of others returning the favor. For me (and this is just for me) it's about learning from one another, cultivating a greater understanding about people, and being kind and generous regarding the human estate. We're all just needing a little encouragement in this, all wanting to be heard. Thus, when I visit a blog, I come expecting to spend some time and give my attention therein.

Make sense? If not, then apparently I didn't read as closely as I should.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and investing some of your time. Keep to your writing journey and don't be surprised how God will use your words, both in the now and in the next season of your life.

peace~elaine

Ally said...

On a corp blog I'd try to be polite, watch my spelling and pretend I'm in a professional setting. On personal blogs I often relate the story to my own life.

FourthGradeNothing.com