Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Chris Brogan Challenge : Ways to Save a Bad Time at a Conference

As I was sitting in a lonely hotel room, waiting for my husband to get out of work, I was searching the web for new ideas for my blog. During my search, I came across a guy named Chris Brogan, author of Social Media 101 and coauthor of Trust Agents. Mr. Brogan had made a list of 100 blog topics that he hoped “I” would write about. Many of his ideas fit me perfectly, while others I’m not really sure what they are. In all my boredom, I decided to challenge myself to write about all 100 of his topics. This won’t be easy, since some of the topics are a big question mark to me, but a little research never hurt anyone. Figuring in the fact that I don’t write real posts on the weekend, this challenge will be 100% successful if I complete it in 20 weeks. So let’s begin…Day Eight – Topic Eight(I need a familiar topic)!

I can honestly say that I have never been to a corporate conference before, but I have been to a few teaching conferences run by the county. When you think of going to a work conference, what is the first thing that pops into your mind? BORING! Well how can you prevent this boredom from setting in? My fellow teachers and I always tried to arrive early to a conference. This gave us time to chat amongst ourselves and also time to meet new people. Usually at teaching conferences, those from the same school get separated into different groups. So it is good to meet new people as a whole before going your separate ways. Having people to communicate with during a conference is so important. This saves you from getting so bored that you start to miss out on important information. So stop thinking of your work conferences as a boring mandatory event, but rather think of it as an opportunity to meet many nice and fascinating people. What do you do to keep yourself from having a bad time at a conference? Grab a latte, put up your feet, and join the discussion!

2 comments:

Sharon's New Life said...

When I worked professionally I always loved conferences because it was a great way to learn something new.
Thanks for having such a fabulous blog!
I'm giving you an award and you can find it at http://scfitz1972.blogspot.com/2010/05/versatile-award.html
Thanks for sharing all you do!
Sharon:)

Kel said...

Thanks Sharon! :)