Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Does Make-Up Really Expire?

Do you have a drawer of make-up that you keep, just in case? You know what I mean, the purple eye shadow that you just might need. Or the perfect shade of lipstick, if you ever get a tan. Although some make-up comes with an expiration date on it, I always wondered if it really could expire. Is it ok to have that just in case make-up? After a little perusing of the internet I discovered that make-up can indeed expire. The problem us women will face though is that the expiration date on the make-up is not really accurate. Make-up that is store incorrectly will expire long before the actual expiration date, just as make-up that is stored properly will have a longer life than it has been labeled. If you are interested in a suggested length, however, here you go:

Concealer – 6 to 8 months (If it starts to smell funny, however, toss it!)

Water based foundation (compact) – up to 12 months

Oil based foundation (compact) – up to 18 months

Liquid Foundations – 3 to 6 months

Powder - 1 to 2 years

Eye Liner – Up to 3 years if you sharpen it regularly (If you develop an eye infection, don’t reuse it.)

Eye Shadow – Up to 3 years

Lip Liner – 1 to 2 years

Lipstick – 1 to 2 years depending on how you store it (hint: keeping it in your car is not a good idea!)

Mascara – 3 to 4 months (As with the eye liner, if you develop an eye infection, throw it away.)

With all make-up, use common sense. If it looks or smells different than it out to, don’t use it. Changes in your product will begin from the first time you open it. As soon as it is exposed to air and to your face, it begins collecting bacteria. Make sure to keep your brushes and sponges clean to avoid unnecessary infections. Do you have a “just in case” make-up drawer? Do you ever end up using it or does it go to waste?

Grab a latte, put up your feet, and join the discussion!

12 comments:

melonbelly said...

Yep, I'm in trouble! I don't even want to think about how old my stuff is!!!

www.melonbelly.blogspot.com

Kel said...

Me neither! :)

IASoupMama said...

I'm a purger -- I only keep stuff around that I'm actually using. I did dump my entire stage make-up kit as it was plain nasty... ick...

candace said...

Wow! Great info...I think I need to print this and stick it to my bathroom wall!

Shanilie said...

Following you from POM's mclinky mondays. Please feel free to pop by my blog some time. I enjoy meeting other Christian mommy bloggers.

Ria @ Life as a Wife! said...

Thanks Kel for your sweet comment on my blog! Yours is so sweet and I love this post. Do you follow me? I am following you now! Excited to read more :)

Kel said...

No problem Ria! I am following you as Kel, it just has a different picture since my personal one was too large to use. Thanks for swinging by!

TLCsThoughts said...

I think I may have some antique make-up...mascara does come in powder form right? ;)

content2be said...

Wow, very informational. I had no clue. Thanks for following my blog... I'm following yours. See ya around! :)

Nikki said...

Just purged my makeup and body products this weekend. I'm feeling lighter and my bathrooms is looking roomier.

Wonderfully Chaotic said...

I just purged my makeup bag the other night of all it's antiques! :)

You have a blog award over at my blog, by the way:
http://www.wonderfullychaotic.com/2010/03/more-blog-awards.html

Kat said...

I always always keep my makeup for those just in case moments! But I guess now I should think twice before I do that!!! :)
http://sklub105.blogspot.com/