Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Recipe Corner: Carrot Cake

This carrot cake stands apart from others because of its precooked carrots. The precooked carrots make the cake extra moist and YUMMY! Do you have a mouthwatering recipe you would like to recommend? Shoot me an email at betweenthelines-kam@hotmail.com  and I can post it for all to enjoy!


Ingredients
• 6 carrots, quartered
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 cups white sugar
• 2 teaspoons baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 3 eggs
• 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
• 3/4 cup vegetable oil
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 3/4 cup buttermilk
• 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice
• 1 (3.5 ounce) package flaked coconut
• 1 cup chopped walnuts
• 1/2 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
• 1/4 cup butter
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 2 cups confectioners' sugar

Directions
1. In a small saucepan, cover carrots with water. Bring water to a boil and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Let cool and mash.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs. Add vegetable oil, buttermilk, 2 cups white sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Add flour, baking soda, ground cinnamon and salt. Mix in pineapple, 2 cups mashed carrots, nuts and coconut.
3. Pour into paper towel-lined 13 x 9 x 2-1/2 inch pan.
4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 55 minutes, or until cake tests done.
5. Place cake on a plate, and allow to cool completely before frosting.
6. To Make Frosting: Combine cream cheese, melted butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and confectioners' sugar. Spread on cooled cake. Cake tastes best after refrigerating overnight.

5 comments:

Jen said...

Thanks for sharing! Carrot Cake is my favorite, I will have to try this.

sjduke said...

I noticed you said to pour the cake into a paper towel lined pan, it that a replacement for parchment paper to help get it out of the pan?

Kel said...

Julia, this is recipe I found on allrecipes.com, so I thought I should copy it exactly as is. But when I made it, I didn't do anything but grease and flour the bottoms and sides. I have no idea what the paper towel would do? But everyone who reviewed it gave it 5 stars, so I could be missing something.

Papa said...

I hope you can make this for me the next time we come up. It looks so good Kelly!

Love you lots and congratulations on your awards. I agree - your blog is so good.

Kel said...

Papa- I can make for you any time you want! :)